Droupadi Murmu was today sworn in as the country’s 15th President. She is the first Santal- Tribal and the second woman to be elected to the highest post.
Here’s your 10-point cheatsheet to this big story:
- In her first tweet as President, Droupadi Murmu greeted the country with “Johar, Namaskar” and said Indians’ wishes would give her strength to fulfil her duties in the country’s highest office. “Johar” is a traditional greeting among tribals.
- Droupadi Murmu was administered the oath of office by Chief Justice of India NV Ramana. Former president Ram Nath Kovind, outgoing Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Congress president Sonia Gandhi were present at the ceremony.
- Naveen Patnaik, Chief Minister of President Murmu’s home state Odisha, Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla and MPs from all parties also attended the event.
- Addressing the joint sitting of Parliament after taking the oath, President Murmu said, “My election is proof that the poor in the country can have dreams and also fulfil them.”
- She said getting a primary education was a dream for her and added that she would focus on welfare of the marginalised.
- Addressing the country’s youth, she appealed that they work towards laying the foundation of the country’s future, besides building their own. “As president, you have my full support,” she added.
- Earlier in the day, she visited Raj Ghat and paid her respects to Mahatma Gandhi. She then met outgoing President Ram Nath Kovind.
- President Murmu, 64, scripted history on Thursday after defeating opposition presidential candidate Yashwant Sinha to become the first tribal and the second woman to hold the top constitutional post.
- Prime Minister Modi described President Murmu’s swearing-in as a watershed moment for India. “The entire nation watched with pride as Smt. Droupadi Murmu Ji took oath as the President of India. Her assuming the Presidency is a watershed moment for India especially for the poor, marginalised and downtrodden. I wish her the very best for a fruitful Presidential tenure,” he tweeted.
- Droupadi Murmu was the first woman to be sworn in as Jharkhand Governor in 2015. A two-time BJP MLA from Odisha, she was a minister in the Naveen Patnaik cabinet when the Biju Janata Dal or BJD ruled the state with BJP’s support.