The Meghalaya Government on Wednesday said that it would further regulate “unnecessary” entry of people into the State till the situation improves and restrictions on inter-State movement are lifted. Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong said that it had been noticed that many people are trying to “take shelter” in the State as cases are very low in Meghalaya.
He said many were trying to enter in the guise of visiting their friends or relatives or as tourists, which would not be allowed.
“There will be more restrictions in place and those who are trying to come in unnecessarily, will be turned back at the entry points,” Tynsong said.
Instructions have been given to the Chief Secretary to strengthen vigil at the entry and exit points at Bajengdoba (Garo Hills), Byrnihat (Ri-Bhoi) and Ratacherra (Jaintia Hills).
Tynsong said that Assam has seen a spike in COVID-19 cases and implied that many people from the neighbouring State have been trying to get into Meghalaya, considering it safer.
“We are not against people coming in, but at this juncture when inter-State movement is not allowed, we would like to appeal to all that unnecessary entry into our State should stop,” the Deputy Chief Minister said.
At present, Meghalaya has just three active cases since 42 persons have recovered from COVID-19. The number of positive cases in the State is 46, including a person who died of the viral infection. Tynsong said that the entry points would be regulated and adequate manpower would be deployed. “We will have adequate manpower at the entry and exit points,” he added.
However, there will be no restriction on the entry of residents from the State. So far, 18,020 people have returned to the State and more people are coming in. Tynsong said that these people are being allowed to come in after following strict health protocols.