Brunch or Breakfast as the word suggests is one of the most important meal of our day which is neglected by a number of people around us due to various reasons. While the meaning refers to breaking the gap between the sleep time also referred to as fast in this case where the body hasn’t really taken in any kind of food, water or beverage etc it is now important to void that gap and allow nutritious and healthy foods to enter our body at the very start of our morning.
While some have their own peculiar choice of starting their day with fruits, juices, cereals, tea, coffee, glass of milk and while some stick to a routine of bread with butter, jam or eggs to their choice. Not to overlook the fitness freaks and gym regulars who need to shake up their protein shake jars and get on the go to energize and meet up the target on the scale at the fitness regimes.
Indian or continental, American or English breakfasts there is something which is commonly associated with this concept is that there needs to be a substantial quantity of food that needs to get into the system to boost up our energy and moods to face the grind and challenges which might be waiting for us as the day picks up and for that reason it is important to find those few minutes of quality time undisturbed which need to be spent consuming that power breakfast to look forward to a great day ahead!
Here are a few of my pics from the global platform when it comes to a Sunday Brunch, easy to make and tasty to relish!
RECIPE-1] OATS MASALA IDLI
Oats- 1 cup, cooking or rolled oats
Semolina- ½ cup
Buttermilk- ½ cup
Carrot- 2-3 tsp grated
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Urad dal-1-2 tsp
Chana dal- 1-2 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp. chopped
Curry leaves- 6- 8 no
Green chilies- 2-3 chopped
Ginger-1 tsp chopped
Oil/ ghee-2-3 tsp
Cashews and raisins- 1-2 tsp
Eno or fruit salt- 1 tsp
1. Dry roast the oats in a non-stick pan for a couple of minutes and slightly cool them, dry grind them using a chutney grinder and remove, keep aside.
2. Heat oil/ghee add in mustard, urad dal, chana dal, cumin seeds and allow to splutter for a few seconds. Later add curry leaves, green chilies, ginger, cashews and raisins, saute for a few seconds.
3. Add ½ cup sooji and saute for a minute, add in the oats powder and turmeric powder, add salt to taste, allow to cool. Can be stored in an air tight container and be kept as well for a couple of days in the fridge.
4. When you wish to use add in the grated carrots, buttermilk, water and salt to taste and mix well, allow to rest for 10 mins. meantime grease up the idli trays and set the water to steam up in the idli maker.
5. Add eno or fruit salt and mix well and once the bubbles are visible and texture resembles dropping texture and pour into the greased idli moulds and place it for steaming for around 10-12 mins, remove them gently and serve with a choice of chutneys.
Recipe-2] HEALTH TOTAL MIX PARATHA
For the dough:
Whole wheat flour/atta-2 cups
Warm water-as needed
Ajwain- 1 tsp roasted and crushed
For the stuffing of the paratha:
Paneer- ½ cup grated
Salt to taste
Mint leaves- 2-3 tsp. chopped
Coriander leaves-2-3 tsp chopped
Green chili-1 tsp chopped
Cheese-2-3 tsp grated
Chaat masala-1/2 tsp
If not paneer, then we can use boiled grated potatoes
In combination with choice of veggies like carrots, cabbage etc
Oil/ ghee/ butter as needed to cook the parathas
To serve with:
Bowl of freshly set curd
A quick fix raita of your choice
Curd with a little sugar and salt, pepper
1. Prepare the dough for the parathas to start with and allow the dough to be covered under a damp duster and rest for around 20 mins.
2. The stuffing as we are aware can be modified as to our taste and veg/ non-veg options can be added as well. paneer is one example in this case if not we can use the boiled mashed potatoes in combination with other veggies as well.
3. Add in the salt to taste, other additional ingredients, spices if needed to taste and mix well. divide the dough into 6- 8 portions and roll out each a little, stuff it and close back, roll out the second time.
4. Using a tava, cook the paratha on both sides using choice of oil, butter, ghee as per choice and ensure even cooking on both sides. Once done, remove, cut into 4 each and serve hot with choice of curd/ papad/ pickle etc.
Recipe-3] NUTKHUT POHA PASANDA
Poha/ flattened rice- 2 cups
Oil- 2-3 tsp
Hing- ¼ tsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Dry red chili- 1-2 no
Green chilies- 1-2 no
Curry leaves- 10-12 no
Peanuts- ¼ cup salted
Onion-1 medium sized, chopped
Tomato-1 medium sized, chopped
Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp. chopped
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Red chili powder-1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Boiled cubed potatoes-1 cup
Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
Assorted nuts- cashews/ walnuts/ raisins- 2-3 tsp each.
1. Assemble all the ingredients for the nutty Poha recipe.
2. Clean the Poha and rinse under running water for a few seconds, drain off the excess water and rest on the side for 10 mins.
3. Heat oil and butter in a pan and add in the hing, cumin, mustard, green and red chili and saute for a few seconds.
4. Add in the onions and tomatoes, salt, turmeric and red chili powder and mix well, add a little water to prevent burning. Cook well for a couple of minutes.
5. Now add in the Poha and boiled cubed potatoes, peanuts and toss them well into the masala in the pan. Adjust salt to taste, add grated coconut, nuts, and splash in a little fresh lime juice to taste before serving.
Recipe- 4] VIDESHI TADKA OMELETTE
Eggs- 3-4 no
Salt and pepper to taste
Onion-1 small sliced
Potato- 1 small, sliced
Green capsicum-1/2 no shredded
Chicken sausages-2 no sliced
Mixed herbs-1/4 tsp
Chili flakes-1 pinch
Chopped coriander-2-3 tsp
Grated cheese-1-2 tsp
To serve with:
Slice breads/ bread rolls/ toasts/ breakfast rolls
Flavoured or plain butter can be offered as well.
1. Prepare all the ingredients as per the list of the recipe.
2. Eggs to be shelled open and placed into a glass bowl, add a tsp of water and pinch of salt and beat the eggs well using a beater until they resemble soft peak like texture in the bowl.
3. To prepare the filling for the omelette, heat oil in a pan add in the onions, potatoes, sausages, salt, pepper, herbs, chili flakes and saute for a few seconds add in the water and simmer, cover and cook for 8-10 mins.
4. Grease up an omelette pan with oil/ butter and heat it up. Pour in a little of the beaten egg mixture into the pan and allow to set for a few minutes, place in the filling on one side along with little grated cheese in the pan and fold over the setting up egg and close it like a half moon shape.
5. Allow to cook well on both sides for 2-3 mins and ensure there is no trace of raw egg being visible or oozing out. Once done carefully place it onto your serving plate and garnish with ingredients of your choice.
6. The omelette can be enjoyed with assorted breads, ketchup etc and is a filling breakfast.
Recipe-5] FRUITY YOGHURT DELIGHT
Curd- 2 cups, beaten up add a little honey to adjust the sweetness
For the assorted fruit choice:
Orange segments-1/2 cup
Chickoo- ½ cup peeled and diced
Kiwi-1 no, peeled and cubed
Strawberries- 3-4 sliced
Apple- ½ cubed
Pear- ½ cubed
Black grapes- 4-5 no cut 1 x 2
Green grapes- 4-5 no cut 1 x 2
Mango- ½ cup pulp or fresh cubes
For the layers to be created:
Oreo cookies- ½ cup powdered
Marie/digestive biscuits-1/2 cup powdered
Cherries- 3-4 sliced
Chocolate sauce- ¼ cup
Fresh cream-2-3 tsp. for garnish
Chocolate chips/ assorted chopped nuts- 2-3 tsp for garnish.
1. prepare all the ingredients for the recipe as listed, we can make a few modifications as desired to suit our taste.
2. To start with prepare all the fruits of your choice as per taste and availability, beat up the curd sweeten a little if needed.
3. Crush up the cookies to a powder form and keep it aside as well.
4. Use small glasses or dessert cups to layer up this breakfast sweet since it can be enjoyed in small quantities.
5. Start with the curd mixture at the base, followed by the powdered cookie mixture and fruits to follow up all the way creating multiple layers using the ingredients.
6. Use nuts and other ingredients as well to create color combination, contrast, taste and crunch into the recipes and work on a balance.
7. Garnish with ingredients appropriately and allow to set/ chill up in the fridge for around 1-2 hours, remove and relish it.
Recipe- 6] CINNAMON BANANA PANCAKES
For the pancake mixture:
Refined flour- 1 cup
Pinch of baking powder
Water/ milk as needed to make the batter
Vanilla essence- ½ tsp
Powdered sugar- 1 tsp
Melted butter- 1 tbsp.
For the topping and garnishes:
Sliced ripe banana- 1 cup sliced
Chocolate sauce-2-3 tbsp.
Cinnamon powder-1/4 tsp
Cherries- 2-3 no sliced
Assorted fruits for garnishing:
Dragon fruit/ kiwi/ strawberries/ black grapes etc
Fresh cream-1/2 cup
Chocolate sauce/ chocolate chips
1. In a mixing bowl, combine together the ingredients for the pancake batter and using a whisk make a nice smooth batter and allow to rest for 20 mins.
2. Using a non- stick pancake pan grease and pour in ladleful of the pancake batter and ensure even cooking on both sides, use a little butter if needed to cook it well and once a light golden color is visible we can remove the pancakes and keep aside.
3. To assemble and serve the pancakes, place them one by on in the serving plate, use variety of fruits like banana in this case and sprinkle cinnamon powder and use other ingredients as well and layers to be created with assortment of taste and crunch.
4. Garnish with ingredients which add in color, taste, texture and gets us a good balance in the plate as well. serve warm.
by: Dr. Kaviraj Khialani,
CELEBRITY MASTER CHEF AUTHOR & ACADEMICIAN
- Global Icon for Hospitality & Culinary Arts.
- Recipient of Bharat Vidya Ratan Award.
- Received Best Chef Asia Award
- Gold Medalist in International Hospitality Education.
- Editor – Food Designer & Consultant.
- Director – Creative Cuisine International India.