Watermelon & Summers seem to be indispensable and the mere appearance of its vibrant color and its mouthfeel and crunch is so very mesmerising that it can keep away many fast foods and give us a feeling of contentment and satisfaction like none else. I often remember those summer times since childhood when watermelon was a must and had to be consumed as an important part of our daily needs and we somehow it was better having it wholesome rather than being juiced up.
It is one of those fruits which are highest in water content and have been with us supplementing our dietary requirements and adding nutritional benefits with its varied offerings which we all must take note of and should try and have as much of it this summer season to beat the heat and keep ourselves hydrated and light.
Let us have a look at the Top 10 Health Benefits of Watermelon:
- Watermelon is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Iron and Calcium content.
- Watermelon has good amounts of folic acid, phosphorus and potassium to offer us as well.
- Watermelon is considered to be a good Immunity boosting fruit and it also aids in digestion.
- Watermelon benefits also include reducing insulin resistance, keeps us hydrated and is low in calories.
- Watermelon is good for our skin and hair and is also rich in minerals and vitamins.
- Watermelon helps to cleanse the kidneys and also improves liver functions.
- Watermelon is also heart healthy and cures muscle soreness.
- Watermelon helps us detox the body as well and also helps to relieve acid reflux.
- Watermelon is also regarded as a mood enhancer and also helps the metabolism of the body.
10.Watermelon prevents cell damage due to free radicals and also reduces risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Here are a couple of recipes with The Wow Some Watermelon for all of us to relish this season:
Recipe-1] WATERMELON DETOX & REFRESHER
Watermelon- 2 cups freshly cut
Water- 2 cups
Cucumber-1/2 no peeled and cut into cubes.
Mint leaves- 12-15 no.
Ginger juice- 1 tbsp.
Lime slices- 3-4 no.
Lime juice- 2 tbsp.
Salt- pink/sea salt/rock salt- ¼ tsp – optional
Fresh basil leaves- 5-6 no.
- Prepare all the ingredients for the detox refresher.
- In a blender jar combine together the fresh watermelon, with cucumber, little water and churn it.
- Remove in a mixing bowl, add in the ginger juice, lime juice, Mint and basil leaves, a pinch of salt if desired.
- Mix well and pour into glasses and serve immediately.
- Have a couple of glasses of this detox refresher and feel fresh and light.
Recipe- 2] WATERMELON SALSA BOWL
Watermelon- 2 cups fresh cut into small pieces
For the salsa:
Garlic-1 tsp chop
Onions/ spring onions -2 tbsp. chop
Fresh red ripe tomatoes- ½ cup chop.
Fresh basil/spring onion greens/ mint leaves- 2 tbsp. each
Rock salt/ pink salt/ black salt- 1 pinch
Olive oil- 2 tsp
Honey- 1 tsp
Ginger juice-1 tsp
Chopped green chilies- 1 tsp
Crushed black pepper-1/2 tsp
Flax seeds/ melon seeds/ pumpkin seeds-1 tsp
Fresh orange segments-1/4 cup
To serve with- whole wheat/ multi-grain savoury crackers/nachos/tortilla chips as a snack!
- Prepare all the ingredients for the recipe and keep aside.
- This is an uncooked version of a watermelon salsa as its more nutritious when not cooked.
- Using a mixing bowl, combine together all the ingredients and give it a good mix, add boiled sweet corn as well if desired for some color and crunch in the salsa, I usually use freshly roasted crushed corn kernels in this one.
- Check for seasonings, adjust accordingly and chill the salsa until being served, allow a standing time of at least 20 mins before having it.
- Arrange the savoury crackers/nachos/tortilla chips on a serving platter and spoon in the salsa into a bowl and serve along, add olives, gherkins etc as desired.
Recipe-3] WATERMELON & AVOCADO TOSS SALAD
Watermelon- 2 cups freshly cut and cubed.
Ripe avocado- 1 no, peeled- stoned and cut into cubed
Iceberg lettuce/ any fresh greens of your choice- 1 cup
Cucumber- ½ cup cubed
Tomatoes-1/4 cup cubed
Dates- 3-4 no, without seeds, cut into pieces
Assorted nuts- 2-3 tbsp.- walnuts/cashews/ almonds/ peanuts.
For the dressing:
Honey- 1 tbsp.
Ginger juice-1 tsp
Lime juice- 2 tbsp.
Mint leaves- 4-5 no.
Melted jaggery- 2 tsp
Flax seeds/ melon seeds- 1 tsp
Olives- black/green- 3-4 no sliced.
Parsley/ coriander- 2 tbsp. for garnish.
- Prepare all the ingredients for the salad and keep chilled.
- Just before serving, in a mixing bowl combine together the ingredients for the dressing and mix them well.
- Arrange the base of the salad greens on a serving salad plate or bowl, place the body of the salad on top and finally drizzle the dressing over and garnish.
- Serve the salad instantly and enjoy it before or with a light meal for lunch/dinner.
Recipe- 4] NUTTY WATERMELON SUMMER SALAD
Watermelon- 2 cups freshly cut into cubes
Iceberg or any greens of your choice/purple cabbage- 1 cup
Feta cheese/ cottage cheese- 2-3 tbsp. crumbled
Assorted nuts- 2 -3 tbsp.- pinenuts, peanuts, almonds
Assorted fresh veggies which can also be added to this salad;
Babycorn, broccoli, carrots, French beans, green or yellow zucchini, asparagus, water chestnuts, boiled lotus stem slices.
For the dressing:
Olive oil-1 tbsp.
Watermelon pulp-1/4 cup
Sweet lime juice/orange segments -2 tbsp.
Melon seeds/ chia seeds-2 tsp
Salt and pepper to taste
Balsamic vinegar/ lime juice- 2 tsp.
Mustard paste-1/2 tsp
Mint and coriander leaves- 2 tbsp.
Date puree-1 tbsp.
- Prepare all the ingredients for the salad.
- In a serving bowl arrange the base of greens of your choice, cabbage etc.
- In a mixing bowl combine the dressing ingredients and blend them well.
- Arrange the body of the salad on the base onto the serving plate and drizzle the dressing over and serve garnished with nuts/seeds/micro-greens etc.
BRIEF ABOUT THE AUTHOR: DR. KAVIRAJ KHIALANI – CELEBRITY MASTER CHEF IS A MUMBAI-BASED FOOD & HOSPITALITY CONSULTANT. HE HAS WORKED WITH ESTEEMED BRANDS LIKE THE TAJ GROUP OF HOTELS, KUWAIT AIRWAYS AND MANY MORE. BESIDES HAVING SPECIALISED IN OVER 33 PLUS INTERNATIONAL CUISINES CHEF KAVIRAJ IS A RENOWNED NAME IN THE WORLD OF HOSPITALITY EDUCATION, TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT. HE HAS ALSO BEEN FEATURED ON STAR PLUS & COLORS TELEVISION. AN AWARDEE OF THE BHARAT VIDYA RATAN AWARD, BEST CHEF ASIA AWARD AND MANY MORE ACCOLADES MAKE HIM ONE OF THE ICONIC NAMES IN THE CULINARY WORLD.